Home | Site Map | Join Mailing List | Login |  A A A
Keyword Search
Southampton County Home Page Southampton County Home Page
Southampton County Home Page
   Home  /  For Government  /  Public Utilities  /  Public Utilities FAQ  
For ResidentsFor BusinessFor GovernmentFor VisitorsContact Us

Public Utilities FAQ


Public Utilities Frequently Asked Questions

1. What must I do to set up a new account?

Bring a picture ID and a copy of your rental agreement (if renting) to the County Administration office at 26022 Administration Center Drive in Courtland to complete the service application. Once the application is complete you must pay the deposit at the Treasurer’s office in Courtland.

2. How much is the deposit and does it have to be paid in advance?

The deposit is $125.00 and must be paid in full before service is connected or transferred. The deposit is a refundable deposit that is refundable after two (2) years if the bill has been paid on time each month. The deposit can be returned to you or applied to your account. If not requested the deposit stays on the account until the account is closed. The deposit is applied to any outstanding balance and the remainder refunded to you after processing of your final bill.

3. How long does it take to have new service turned on?

If all the paperwork is done and the deposit is paid before 3:00 pm we can generally have service on the same day. If we are not able to do it that afternoon it will be on the next morning.

4. What are my payment options?

Your monthly bill comes with an envelope for your mailing convenience. You can pay your bill in the Treasurer’s Office in person. There is a drop box in front of the County Administration Building so you may drop off your payments. The box is checked every work morning and applied to your account the day it is received. You may also make secure online payments through the Treasurer’s Office link on the County website. Online payments do not post automatically. You will need to fax a copy of your confirmation page to our office as verification.

5. Who do I call to report a problem with my utilities?

During normal business hours call 757-653-3015 to report any problems with sewage back-ups, water leaks, water quality, etc. If you live in the Town of Courtland please call 653-2222 to report any problems with your water. The Town of Courtland has their own water system and it is not operated by the County Dept of Public Utilities. After hours, please call 653-2100 (Sheriff’s Office) for any emergencies concerning water and sewer.

6. I forgot to pay my bill and my water has been turned off. What do I do?

If service has been disconnected due to nonpayment the full past due amount plus a reconnection fee of $50.00 must be paid before service is restored. This payment must be made by cash, money order, or debit/credit card. Checks are not accepted on accounts that have been disconnected for nonpayment. Payment must be received by 3:00 pm for service to be restored that day. Once payment has been received service will be restored as workers become available. Your service will be restored by 3:30 pm the day of disconnection.

7. I am interested in putting water/sewer on a piece of property. How much will it cost?

The base price for installation of a residential water and sewer tap is $12,800.00. Before a firm price can be quoted we must receive a plat of your property so that we may inspect the property to determine if any additional construction costs will be incurred. Tap fees must be paid in advance before tap installation and before the issuance of any building permits.




Contact UsLinksEmploymentPrivacy PolicyLocationSite MapHome
© 2011 Southampton County, Virginia. All Rights Reserved • Contact the Webmaster • Some Photography by Anne Bryant • Web Site Designed by WebWorx, Inc.