The Department determines eligibility for the
For detailed information on any of these programs, you may refer to Benefit Programs of the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Frequently asked questions about Financial Assistance:
Am I eligible for assistance? This screening tool can help you find out if you are eligible to receive temporary cash or SNAP.
XILIARY GRANT - Available to aged, blind or disabled persons who are living in a state approved home for adults and have insufficient funds to meet their needs as established by the State Board. You must apply for an Auxiliary Grant in the city or county in which you last lived before entering the home for adults.
PORT FRAUD - Call Fraud Investigator at 757-653-3106
1. If I have income can I still receive benefits? Yes. However, eligibility and the amount of benefits are based on household income.
2. I have very little/no income. Where can I go for legal advice? Legal Aid Center 1-800-944-6624.
3. Can I apply for benefits at any Social Services Office? You must apply for benefits in the city or county where you live. The Southampton County Department of Social Services serves the residents of Southampton County.
4. Do my benefits transfer when I move? Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) SNAP and Medicaid cases transfer if you move to another locality within Virginia . No other programs can be transferred.
5. How do I go about applying for benefits? To apply for benefits an application must be completed. The TANF and SNAP Programs also require an interview. An application can be obtained by mail or in person during our office hours. Interviews for applications are conducted on a first come, first served walk in basis Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Interviews can also be scheduled between 8:00 - 8:30 am & 5:00 - 6:30 pm, Monday - Friday , by appointment only.
6. Does your office handle child support matters? The Division of Child Support Enforcement handles child support. For residents of Southampton County, you will need to contact the Suffolk office. The telephone number is 1-800-828-1304.